In the pre-planning stage, the ESS team will have put together a kit for each RC. Ideally, there would be one RC kit within each RC. In some communities, however, one mobile RC kit is shared between the RCs. The mobile kit would likely be located off-site and at a central location such as a municipal hall, fire hall, or school. During an event that would require an RC opening, the RC Manager would be responsible for making arrangements for the delivery of the kit to the RC.
Possible contents for RC kits include:
- Large signs to identify the service areas (e.g., RC outdoor sign, Information, Emotional Support, etc.)
- A sign reminding to protect the privacy of evacuees (e.g., To protect the privacy of evacuees within this reception centre, please DO NOT use video recording devices or photography devices of any kind including cell phone cameras. Thank you.)
- Office items (e.g., pens, pads of paper, filing boxes, etc.)
- Flashlights, cones, AM/FM radio, extension cords, batteries, solar powered calculator, 24-hour clock, pre-printed, laminated numbering system with ESS logo on the back, request flags (used by Registration and Referrals Workers to get the attention of a supervisor or a runner, which saves a lot of arm-waving and noise), etc.
- Various sized bandages, gauze, cold packs, etc. or a basic or level 1 first aid kit
Function Checklists & Function Aids
- These forms, templates, function aids and checklists can be found in the RCOG in the ‘Tools’ section of the Resources page of this website